Ranji Trophy: Pre-IPL phase to run from Feb 10-March 15; post IPL-phase from May 30-June 26;
The Ranji Trophy 2022 will held in two phases and now it has confirmed that the pre-Indian Premier League (IPL) phase set to take place between February 10 and March 15. The details on how the Ranji Trophy would held this season were mentioned in a letter sent by BCCI secretary Jay Shah to all state-affiliated units.
From May 30 through June 26, the post-IPL phase will take place. This season’s Ranji Trophy will include 64 matches played across 62 days.
“I am pleased to share that we are now truly set to resume both international. And domestic cricket with full thrust. The coming months are going to be replete with cricketing action. We have waited patiently for the grip of the pandemic to loosen and the time has come for our cricketers to take center-stage all over again,” wrote Shah in his letter.
“We have spread out the Ranji Trophy to 9 different venues across the country to mitigate any cross-transmission risk. While ensuring the bio-secure bubble not overburdened,” he added.
Therefore, there are eight Elite Groups and one Plate Group. The Elite Groups would consist of four teams, while the Plate Group would consist of six teams.
However, Each Elite Group will have one team qualify for the quarterfinals. Moreover, the lowest-ranked of the eight qualified clubs will face the Plate Group’s top team in a pre-quarterfinal.
The Groups are as follows:
- A (Elite Group): Gujarat, Madhya Pradesh, Kerala, and Meghalaya (Matches to held in Rajkot)
- B (Elite Group): Bengal, Baroda, Hyderabad, Chandigarh (Matches to held in Cuttack)
- C (Elite Group): Karnataka, Railways, Jammu and Kashmir, Pondicherry (Matches to held in Chennai)
- D (Elite Group): Saurashtra, Mumbai, Odisha, Goa (Matches to held in Ahmedabad)
- E Group : (Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan, Services, and Uttarakhand)
- F Group : (Punjab, Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, and Tripura)
- G Group : (Vidharbha, Uttar Pradesh, Maharashtra, and Assam)
- H Group : (Delhi, Tamil Nadu, Jharkhand, and Chattisgarh) will see their matches played in Trivandrum, Delhi, Haryana, and Guwahati
While the Plate Group matches will held in Kolkata and this group comprises Bihar, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram, Sikkim, and Arunachal Pradesh.