Fixtures revealed for ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2022 in Australia;
T20 World Cup 2022: To celebrate the release of the fixture for T20 cricket’s pinnacle men’s global event. Major landmarks from across Australia’s seven host cities were lit up. Simultaneously with giant images of cricket’s global superstars.
Excitement is building for the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2022. However, following the announcement of the fixtures for the October 16 – November 13 event. The world’s best cricketers from 16 international teams will clash in 45 matches. As the pinnacle global event in men’s T20 cricket comes to Australia for the first time.
Matches will be played across Adelaide, Brisbane, Geelong, Hobart, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney. Moreover, giving fans around the country the chance to see the biggest global sporting event coming to Australia in 2022.
In the First Round, 2014 champions Sri Lanka and Namibia will play the opening match of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2022. Apart at Kardinia Park, Geelong on Sunday 16 October. They’ll be joined by two qualifiers in Group A. However, two-time champions West Indies will also start in the First Round. As a result, joined in Group B by Scotland and two qualifiers in Hobart.
In the Super 12, hosts Australia are in Group 1 with world number one England. New Zealand, Afghanistan, plus the winner of Group A and the runner-up in Group B from the First Round. Group 2 features India, Pakistan, South Africa, Bangladesh. Plus the winner of Group B and runner-up in Group A from the First Round.
Hosts and defending champions, Australia will play New Zealand in the opening match of the Super 12. At the SCG on Saturday 22 October in a re-match of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2021 Final. The Black Caps will also face England at The Gabba on 1 November. In a re-match of their epic semi-final encounter at the 2021 event.
Two of world cricket’s biggest rivals will go head-to-head at the MCG. With India taking on Pakistan on Sunday 23 October. However, it will be the first World Cup clash between the two nations at the MCG. And comes before two more fierce rivals, Australia and England, meet at the venue on Friday 28 October.
The state-of-the-art Perth Stadium will host a huge Sunday double-header on Sunday 30 October. With South Africa taking on India in the evening match. In conclusion, earlier in the day, Pakistan will be in action against the runners-up from Group A.
However, the semi-finals will be played at the SCG and Adelaide Oval on 9 and 10 November, respectively. It will be the first time the Adelaide Oval will host a World Cup semi-final.
The MCG will host the ICC Men’s T20 WC 2022 Final, which will be contested under lights on 13 November 2022.
International Cricket Council CEO Geoff Allardice said:
“T20 is the global growth format for cricket. And the ICC T20 World Cup 2022 will play a huge role in inspiring our next generation of players. And fans as the world’s best players descend on Australia and showcase the very best of our sport. However, the release of fixtures is always a great moment in the delivery of a World Cup. As fans start to get excited about opening games, head to heads and knock-out stages.
“This schedule offers so much, from the 2014 Champions Sri Lanka opening the event. Firstly, to our defending champions Australia starting with a rematch of the 2021 Men’s T20 World Cup Final against New Zealand. And of course India taking on Pakistan at the MCG. Moreover, we know that hundreds of thousands of passionate cricket fans will turn out to support every single one of the 16 teams. Across all seven of our host cities which is what makes it so special for the players. You only need to cast your mind back to the brilliant ICC Women’s T20 World Cup 2020 in Australia. As a reult, to know that this is going to be a wonderful event for players and fans alike.”
ICC T20 WC Local Organising Committee CEO, Michelle Enright said:
“The release of the fixtures gives fans the opportunity. To start planning their T20 World Cup experience, which is now just 268 days away.”
“By having matches spread across the nation in seven host cities. And making tickets accessibly priced, we are hoping as many people as possible will be able to experience. The incredible atmosphere that international fans bring to global sporting events. As well as the unique, fast-paced and unpredictable nature of T20 cricket.”
“World Cups are about bringing people from all backgrounds and cultures together. And we hope to safely host over 800,000 fans at Australia’s iconic cricket venues later this year.”
- Adelaide will see 10 different teams play Super 12 matches in a festival of cricket. With India to feature on the first night at Adelaide Oval against Bangladesh on 2 November. Australia will be in action on a Friday night against local Adelaide favourite Rashid Khan and Afghanistan on 4 November.
- Brisbane will host four Super 12 matches with Australia, England and New Zealand. To feature on consecutive nights on October 31 and November 1 respectively.
- 2014 champions Sri Lanka will feature in the opening match of the event against Namibia. At Kardinia Park, Geelong on 16 October 2022 in the First Round.
- Hobart will see the power-hitters of West Indies play three First Round matches. At Bellerive Oval, starting on 17 October 2022. Hobart will also host three Super 12 fixtures.
- The state-of-the-art Perth Stadium will host five Super 12 matches with defending champions Australia. To play a night match against the winners of Group A on 25 October. Perth Stadium will also be lit up on the opening night of the Super 12. With world number one England taking on Afghanistan.
- Sydney will host a massive double-header on 5 November. With England to take on the winners of Group A. Before Pakistan take on South Africa in the evening match.
Two global qualifying events will determine the final four places for Australia 2022.